On June 29, 2012, Firecracker was found with an infected umbilical cord. For fear that without treatment, and possibly surgery, he would become septic and possibly die, Firecracker and his mother were removed to receive veterinary care. After a thorough exam by the veterinary it became apparent that something was also terribly wrong with his mother. She was shortly diagnosed with Red Maple poisoning, caused by ingestion of wilted Red Maple leaves. Her health quickly deteriorated and she was humanely put to sleep.
Firecracker has made a complete recovery and is being fostered in Smithfield, Virginia. Firecracker was born April 28, 2012.